General Electric (GE) Industrial Hackathon Melbourne
Real World Industrial Transportation Problem - Automated Audio System for Rail Maintenance
GE INDUSTRIAL HACKATHON MELBOURNE
- 2ND PRIZE WINNERS
Consisting of 16 teams (up to 6 people) competing in Australia's first nation-wide industrial hackathon.
Thanks for the support from Melbourne University's Lab14, GE, Rio Tinto and my team - Felicity Mulhall, Fiona Slocombe and Leo Gui.
- Problem & Solution Statement
- Affinity Diagramming
- Design Studio Methodology
- User Tasks, User Flows
- Rapid Prototyping, UI Design
- Usability Testing
One of the primary concerns of autonomous trains is maintenance. They need to be kept clean and fully functional to keep them running on-time and at full capacity.
Currently, a lot of the work instructions are on paper, it's actually very difficult for the operators to do their work and have to scroll through this dirty paper to find out what they had to do next.
Manual processes are impacting business efficiencies, staff morale and worksite safety.
MINIMUM VIABLE PRODUCT (MVP)
iPhone 6S iOS voice activated job sheet
Real customer feedback for evidence-based validation
KEY FINDINGS & RECOMMENDATIONS
- Simplify language (remove unnecessary information, additional text for regular activities) .
- Visibility - progress bar, identify steps in process.
- Feedback loop / live chat-refine timings for future / decision tree .
- Data analytics: reduce spare parts holding from 10% to 1%; compare efficiencies over multiple classes of locomotives.